Mango (mangifera indica) is a native of India. It has been grown here since 4000 BC- it finds extensive mention in ancient Indian literature and is a part of its folklore. From India mango has spread to every nook and corner of the world.
- By some accounts mango is the most consumed fruit in the world.
- Each part of a mango tree is used in some or the other way.
- Mango is also called the Fruit of the Gods.
- Mango spread from India to Australia at the end of the 20th century.
- Mango spread to America in the beginning of the 20th century.
- There are considered to be 1000 or so known varieties. However constant development of new varieties is happening. By some accounts, India alone has about 2500 varieties, and Pakistan 250, many of them still undocumented.